At Harbor City School, we believe that teaching opportunities exist well beyond direct instruction time in the classroom, and our snack program is designed with that in mind. With the snacks provided at school, we aim to demonstrate a food culture that is healthy for our bodies as well as our planet. Whenever possible, we strive to offer snacks that are:
- Organic or all natural
- Whole grain
- Free from high fructose corn syrup
- Have fewer than 9 grams of sugar per serving
- Offer less than 10% daily value of sodium
- Distributed in packaging that minimizes our garbage production
With these guidelines in mind, we offer a rotation of crackers, pretzels, cereal, pasta, raisins, and cheese or yogurt. Some of our favorite snacks include (but are not limited to):
- Arrowhead Mills French Toast Squares (low in sugar, high in fiber, nutrient-rich)
- Akmak Crackers (high in protein and whole grain)
- Low-sodium pretzels
- Cabot mild cheddar cheese
- Organic Thompson raisins
In addition, we are proud to supplement our snack program with fresh produce from our plot at the Bremen St. Community Garden. Students participate in the planting, tending, and harvesting of our garden and are always proud to see the fruits (and vegetables!) of their labor. We encourage them to try each fruit or vegetable many times, with or without dip, and talk about how our taste buds change as we grow up. Over time, we’ve seen many students change their minds about a few foods!
We welcome and appreciate any donations to the snack program. Please confirm with the Director to avoid any allergy risks.